4 Reasons Why You Need to Decouple Your Frontend from Backend
Typically, enterprise solutions feature a tightly coupled frontend & backend. Though this architecture is easy and simple to build, test & deploy, it also poses tremendous challenges regarding maintainability, deployment, and scalability. The following are the major pitfalls of tightly coupled architecture.
- A tightly coupled application must use the same technology stack throughout, and applying any new efficient technology would be cost-intensive.
- Due to its complex and tightly coupled nature, it’s harder and resource-intensive to implement changes as the developer must understand the system in totality and must be thoroughly coordinated.
- Hard to scale, especially when different modules have conflicting resource requirements.
- Due to its high module interdependency, a single module failure or an error can bring down the whole system and cause business losses.
Here is How Decoupled Architecture Can Be Advantageous
To overcome the drawbacks of the tightly coupled architecture, enterprises must explore API-driven decoupled architecture. This architecture decouples the application’s frontend & backend, and these loosely connected components communicate between themselves via APIs. The following are the key advantages of the decoupled architecture.
1. Swift Solution Delivery
Decoupled architecture facilitates frontend and backend developers to collaborate and work in parallel without any dependencies and bottlenecks. The application gets broken down at the functional level, and backend teams can independently work on specific delivering the APIs, whereas the frontend team shall develop the interfaces bases on mock APIs. This speed up the solution delivery, thus saving cost and resource.
2. Efficient Hiring
Generally, developing solutions based on tightly coupled architecture require full-stack developers with expertise both on front-end &back-end and domain knowledge. Resources with these skill sets are not only scarce but also expensive. Having a decoupled architecture in place enables businesses to hire
3. Drive Innovations
This architecture enables building frontend and backend on different tech stacks that suit the requirement. This flexibility gives the freedom to choose best-in-class technology independently for the frontend and backend components without any limitations. Also, it empowers developers to quickly switch to new technologies and frameworks to keep up with innovations without much cost implications.
4. Enhanced User Experience
With end-users using a range of frontend channels such as Web, Mobile, Wearables, and Smart TV, Decoupled Architecture allows the backend APIs to be consumed seamlessly by these devices. It also helps in developing APIs specific to devices, thus improving the overall User Experience. For e.g., a separate API with more data points for devices with more screen real estate such as Web and Tablets and API with fewer data points for Mobile and Wearables.
About Market Simplified: Market Simplified is a fintech co-creative studio that empowers financial services companies in their digital transformation initiatives. We offer a cutting-edge digital experience that is highly personalized and enhanced for the end-users with our ‘Experience Engineering’ platform driven by Analytics, AI, Machine Learning, and Blockchain technologies. Our clientele includes industry leaders like OptionsXpress (Charles Schwab), Currenex (State Street), MB Trading, Maybank Kim Eng, Kotak Mahindra Bank, National Stock Exchange of India, and many others across the globe.
About the Author: Gokoulane Ravi is a Developer turned Program Manager with 6+ years of experience in running Marketing, Digital Customer Acquisition, and Tech Partnerships Programs, and prior 4+ years in Mobile App Development. Passionate about FinTech and driving cross-functional teams in dynamic environments. When not working, he is a hardcore foodie who loves to travel, read, blog, run, cycle, and collect postcards too.
- The API Way of Banking by Sankaran.G, CIO at City Union Bank
- Technology Creates a Health Care & Wealth Care Confluence
- MSXtend Lite is now BSE Certified
- Everything You Need to Know About Flutter & 6 Reasons Why it can be your Frontend of Choice
- 4 Reasons Why You Need to Decouple Your Frontend from Backend